Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Back from Japan

And all I got is this lousy t-shirt. No. Wait. I didn't even BUY a shirt! I feel a little unfulfilled because the one, ULTIMATE gift I was going to bring back for everyone (omiyage) was this awesomest handmade green tea chocolate. I found out, while in Japan, after walking up and down to Kiyomizu Temple, TWICE, they don't make it during the summer because it's too hot and the chocolate melts.

So, after that failure, my brain kind of gave up on finding yummy snack gifts. I feel stupid and lame and a failure. I go all the way to Japan, land of the best candies and snacks and etc., and I didn't bring back much of anything. What a waste!

At least the performance went well, and we all enjoyed ourselves. We kept busy with all sorts of things (visiting temples, a castle, swordmaking town, ceramic shop, Kobe steak! etc.), so all in all, it was a successful trip.

I don't have my trip pics on this computer (at work... shhhh), but I do have pics off of my iPhone from my trip.


Museum stuff. The Tenri Sankokan Museum's current special exhibit is of Mexico. Big head they found in the forest.


Big selection of Coco Ichiban-ya Curry House. They have LEVELS of spiciness.


Kobe Steak! My friend Frank moved to Japan with his wife (who is from Japan), and I told him to take us to a really good steak place. It was so good... and I don't even care for steak!


Drinks with friends. This was at a Turkish bar in Kobe. My first (and probably only) Young Turk (Turkish cherry juice and vodka).


Vending machines of all sorts.
Beer, cigarettes, pastries... and the usual soft drinks (no picture). In the past, I have also seen eggs, batteries, toiletries.

I'm adamant about going back to Japan in March/April in an attempt to see the cherry blossoms... the lady at the shop with the chocolates said they should still have the chocolates at that time. :)

No comments: